Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Reflections on my COVID-19 experience

I am writing this down, one because I write to process, and two because there are so many COVID stories out there, and I want to share mine in hopes that someone might learn something that will help them if they experience this illness.

A few facts to start, I know who I got the virus from, and that person knows where they got it from. So at least that is a not a mystery. Also, this is day 9 since I got my official positive test results back, and I am feeling better, getting more energy daily, but still definitely not 100%.

I can't pinpoint the beginning. In all honesty I was worried about someone I love who was not feeling well so I don't think I noticed that I was feeling odd. I do remember my energy starting to lag, coughing, and feeling like I was burning up. I took my temp and it was 97 degrees so I told myself, I was just being crazy and feeling "sympathy illness". One day I also remember ordering pizza, and it looking SO delicious, but it tasted super salty. I remember that's all I could taste was salt, and thinking that was odd.

Well I started to cough more, get more and more tired and weak. I'm a talker but I was avoiding all phone calls because I didn't want to alarm anyone with a coughing fit. These were wet/mucus coughs so I started taking cough medicine.

Then it kind of all hit at once. Total exhaustion, sore throat, no smell or taste, yucky cough, nausea and diarrhea, body ache and chills. I went to get a COVID test. I had already started my quarantine because I knew something was wrong. I have general good health, so I knew this was the worst I had ever felt.

As I waited 3 days for my results the symptoms got worse, I finally told my family and close friends what was going on. After 2 nights of no sleep I called my doctor and I had to advocate for myself,to get some stronger cough medicine. At first they said to take over the counter meds but I had already done that. So I called back in my feverish anger and said, NO, I need something stronger, because I am not sleeping and not eating and I feel terrible.

I got my positive results back on a Saturday, and my parents, family and friends started getting me everything I needed. Soup though I could not taste, unsalted Saltines because even the little salt on Ritz was unbearable, vitamins, drinks, care packages, cleaning supplies, everything. I was so weak and tired, I'd be winded just bringing stuff in from the porch to the living room.

Here is one thing that I tell everyone. Make sure you have a thermometer that works! Mine was old and incorrect and so by the time I got a new one my fever was 101, but I know during those bad days it had to be higher.

So I stayed in, slept a lot, drank liquids because I was feeling so dehydrated, slept more and prayed, not just for me, but anyone at all who was dealing with COVID. Having it definitely increased my understanding and empathy. I will say I had a moderate case, I did not have the symptoms that required going to the hospital, but I definitely was sick.

I started to recover. As the fever left so did the nausea, and I could get some crackers and soup down. Still no taste, but I needed energy. The energy started to come back and I could actually walk to the laundry room without feeling depleted. I was able to talk on the phone more and text. This entire time, I had the most amazing network of loving family and friends, who dropped off everything I needed on the porch. Also, my mom and sister nursed me from afar. Ice cold ginger ale was my very best friend:)

So today is day 9 since my positive test. Almost all of my symptoms are gone or decreasing. I will be at 14 days of official quarantine this Saturday. I have made plans to get the 2 retests I will need to return to work.

I will never forget this situation. I will do another update once I feel all the way "normal" and return back to work etc. I am so grateful for my health and for the loving support that uplifted me when I could not uplift myself. If you start to have symptoms, do some online reputable research (CDC, your state Dept of Health) and go get a test if needed. Also, go ahead now and make sure you have cold/flu meds, a thermometer, and cleaning supplies.










No comments: