Sunday, February 17, 2013

My Aunt's Friends

 But friendship is precious, not only in the shade, but in the sunshine of life; and thanks to a benevolent arrangement of things, the greater part of life is sunshine.
Thomas Jefferson

I have a close family. It has always been that way, and it has made me who I am.
My Aunt has taken on Mel and I just as she would her own children, if she had given birth to any.

Growing up I LOVED summer trips to Atlanta and beyond. My Aunt traveled the world. And my travel bug is completely thanks to her.

I don't know if it's because she married later on in life, but my Aunt has some amazing friends.
This is a group of boisterous, well-traveled, loving and cultured women. And though they have at least 40 years of life experience on me, I adore being with them.

I feel like my Aunt's friends give me a glimpse into what aging gracefully looks like. I could sit and soak up their wisdom and stories for hours. And in the last 2 weekends, I have been able to do just that. Soak up time and experiences with them. It's been pretty amazing!

Last weekend I went out to Sunday Brunch with Club 70 (well that's what I named them). It was the inaugural meeting of about 6 women all in the 70ish range. I had a blast! These women have lived life with gusto and are fresh and vibrant. They have traveled through life and I was enthralled by their presence and characters full of grace. We sat and laughed. We sat and discussed the abysmal state of "family life". We sat and ate and chatted about travel destinations both near and far. When it was time to go, I kinda wished I could be invited along for the next meeting.

Then yesterday, Mel and I were graciously invited to a Valentine's Ladies Lunch. It was elegant and gorgeous. The company was familiar and hilarious. The food was so delicious I can't even do it justice. It was grand. This time there was a mix of 20's and 60's. The laughter flowed freely. The talk about travel had me ready to buy a ticket to Lake Tahoe! Another amazing experience with my Aunt's friends.

Being with these women, gave me a glimpse ahead. It reminded me to focus on what is important. The things that will last until I get a chance to make my own Club 70. What are those things? For me they are; faith in God, family, Christian community, travel, creating a welcoming home, friends, health, and laughter.  

No comments: