Tuesday, June 11, 2013

10 year high school reunion: My Impressions

Who was Sabrina at 18?
Smart, thoughtful, shy, sarcastic, friendly, and ambitious.

Who is Sabrina at 28?
Bright, hard-working, creative, energetic, quirky/funny, and a dreamer.

There is nothing like going back to your old stomping grounds for a reunion. And I was so lucky to get to spend a whole weekend with people who knew me "back then". I look back at this weekend and I still smile because I had a blast at my 10 year high school reunion!!

Everyone does not have a high school class that still gets together, everyone does not even want to see the people that they graduated with years ago.

But, that was not me. While high school was not the best years of my life, they were good times with good people. And seeing some of those people after 10 years was funny, interesting, and quite an experience.

I loved my 10 year high school reunion weekend. Friday rolled in with a rooftop Happy Hour at the downtown library. I was dressed to the nines, if I may say so myself (see above)! I battled down a few intense butterflies in my stomach as I parked my car. But then I looked at my reflection in the car mirror and saw just how MUCH has changed in 10 years, and I was ready to go.

I spent the evening smiling and really listening to the stories of the grown ups, who used to be kids, that I knew. Of course we are still people, groups formed, but in general, at least for me, I was armed with a smile and ready to meet people again. No shame in not really remembering every single person who I graduated with. Also, it was good to see a mix of friends, acquaintances, fresh faces, and even an old crush or two. I am happy to report that many people agreed that my chosen profession was a "good fit" for me; the person I was then and the woman I am today.

 

Saturday brought the most memories. Back to Stanton we went. Walking the halls and seeing the place where you spent a large chuck of your life, well it had my mind in a sort of time-warp. Just being there made me think of things I had not remembered in ages. Like sneaking a cinnamon roll into the library for "lunch" as I finished a project. And then stealthily eating it pinch by pinch (thank goodness those times are over!). A delicious bar-b-que and a scavenger hunt full of memories made my afternoon. I went cute, casual as you can see above. I even found my old locker (I think...).

There was still one more event to go before the weekend was a wrap. This time was the formal dinner at the University Club, overlooking Jacksonville. It was beautiful and I felt beautiful. Thank You Melanie, for the most fabulous dress! It was an evening that made me look around and really see, that Yep, we are grown-ups. Memories were shared as we watched our old class of "2003" DVD. The dinner was delicious and the friendships and conversations brightened my evening.

I could never thank the planning committee enough for all of their hard work and vision and dedication. Because of this weekend, I happily look forward to our 20 year reunion.

I don't even know what to hope for in these next 10 years. I guess I will share a prayer, 2 hopes, and a dream.
 I pray I still will be living a growing, faithful and obedient life in Christ.
 I hope that I have found the community where I will be settled. And I would like a family of my own, or at least a husband. Or to be a traveling/foodie!
And I dream that I would be working or maybe owning a bakery.

*Oh, one last note. Almost everyone I talked to decided that 10 years goes by so fast. And we realized that at 18 we wanted to have it all together by now.....but most of us don't, and that is OK. We are still working on it. It was nice to hear that idea affirmed by my peers over and over again.*

No comments: