Monday, February 28, 2011

Cleansing my Eyes

Verse of Note: Matthew 6:22-23 “The lamp of the body is the eye. If therefore your eye is good, your whole body will be full of light. 23 But if your eye is bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in you is darkness, how great is that darkness!

Song of Note: Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing

To begin, you learn something new every day. I do not know why I had such a strong feeling that there was a Bible verse about the eyes being the window to the soul. What I really meant at the end of yesterday's post was a reference to the verse above. The eyes being the lamp of the body. Oh well, you live and you fact check and you learn:)

Our sight is a gift. Vision is amazing. And these eyes are so delicate yet powerful.
This one thing I know for sure. As a part of my Spring cleaning I HAVE to be more mindful of what I am watching. Let's dig deep here....I don't exactly mean the usual things like TV shows and movies (though I do need to be careful....as many a hilarious comedy (my weakness) often sneak in things that are in direct opposition with God's word).

I am talking about the fact that I need to be watching the right things. People. I cannot get so caught up in myself that I forget my purpose, which is to spread God's message. People need me to see them. There are loads of sick, troubled, helpless, angry, confused, sad, lonely, frustrated, mourning, abused people all around me. They have needs and I need to cleanse my eyes so that I can see and serve.

I know what works best for me. When I read my Bible more and take time for Bible study my cloudy, distracted, weak vision is cleared and refreshed. It is not easy to admit that in the past few weeks I had let my vision get cloudy. Being stressed and busy and tired are the keys to waste in my spiritual life.

With the growth of Spring beauty all around me in God's creation, I will open my eyes and allow the light to shine. It is going to expose some dusty areas....because hey that is what light does. But it will also, I pray reflect some strengths:)

No comments: