Friday, June 15, 2012

A Note for Fathers

Growing up, more and more I am continually thankful for my amazing father. 
I know I am not alone, there are so many people who love and appreciate their fathers.
There are also many people who will be missing their father this Father's Day. Some have passed away and some have never taken their rightful place for one reason or another. 
But, I can write about what I know. What I have lived with, and what I have seen in 27 years of living.

Dear father, daddy (my personal favorite), papa, dad, pops, or whatever you like to call the special man in your life.

 I am glad we have a special day set aside to honor you. I smile when I think about just how deserving you are of praise, respect, and overflowing love. Sometimes life gets in the way and I don't let you know just how much you mean to me. I don't take time to let you know that the woman I am is in large part due to the father that you are. We both are linked, you and I, and I often hope that you see yourself in me and my actions. You are my role model! It is a true honor to hear people say that I am like you. I love to hear people say that they KNOW that I'm your daughter.

 Simply put I want to thank you. Thank you for putting your family before yourself. By doing this you ensure that another generation will know something of sacrifice for a worthy cause. Thank You for your protection. You don't wear rose colored glasses and even though we sometimes ignore your well placed hints and tips, we know that you are always concerned about our safety. And that makes us just glow inside and also want to take care of ourselves more. Thank You for your solemn praise and the small but huge ways that you show us that you are proud of us. Thank You for hugs and care and concern and that particular knowing silence when we just need to talk to you.

There is something special to be said for how you are different from our mothers. We NEED that dad, so please don't hide that power. Continue to proudly be the man of the house. Work together with your wife, and yet lay claim to the special things that only you can do. Exemplify the particular way that you think and reason. Showcase your hard-work, determination, and your gentle strength. There is no yelling or screaming in your vocabulary, yet a disappointed look and having "that talk" in "that tone" will get the point across as quick as lightening.

There is one last thing. Keep your chin up dad! The world demands a lot from you each and everyday. Especially, if you are doing it right and trying to be a supportive husband and father. We know this clashes with what some of your friends might say, or what your boss thinks is important. We are not naive, we know that there are things and temptations out there that want to take you away from us and offer you something new, and quick, and easy. But keep up the good fight! Because it means so much to see you come home after a long day at work and unwind with us. It makes us grin to look up and see your face in the crowd at a performance, or event, or graduation. We are silently thankful each time you kiss our mothers and call them by that pet name that has been hanging on since college; because how you love her, and how you are dedicated to her is just a small part of how you love us and are dedicated to us.

These simple words are not enough but Thank You from the bottom of my heart for being the very best:)

                                                        With all my Love,
                                                              Sabrina



No comments: