Saturday, December 1, 2012

November 30

The month of November is officially over. It was a blessed month!
What am I thankful for, on this last day on the month (well, this post is a few hours late)?

I could pick many things. Like the brilliant sunshine that is glowing through my window, that reminds me of fresh starts and forgiveness. Or being thankful for hosting my 5th annual Christmas party! But this morning, I choose to be thankful for Scripture from the Holy Bible.

With so many truths and stories and psalms, and prophecies, and poems, it is difficult to choose even just a few to be extra thankful for. In general, when I am in need of a certain scriptural reminder or uplift, I end up reading just the right thing.

Here are 4 scriptures that mean a lot to me. They all represent a different stage in the life of Sabrina. I am grateful for each one and its truth and beauty.

1. Hebrews 11:1- This is one of the verses that pops up in my mind as I reflect on my pre-teen years and my faith foundation. Life has transformed since those times. But this verse has remained strong and consistently true.
"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

2. Proverbs 27:19- This was my Senior quote in our yearbook. I did not know much then, but the truth of these words touched me. And I wanted anyone who read my quote to know that I believed in sincerity.
"As in water face reflects face,
So a man’s heart reveals the man."

3. Psalms: 61:2- It all seems a blur sometimes. The span of four years in which I lost 2 beloved aunts, and 2 cousins. The years of my daddy's prostate cancer diagnosis and Melanie's wait for a new kidney. BUT I do remember that again and again and again I came back to this verse. It literally helped me when my spirit was discouraged and in the darkest pit. Thank God for his mighty love and reminders to have strength and look to him!
"From the end of the earth I will cry to You,
When my heart is overwhelmed;
Lead me to the rock that is higher than I."

4. Luke 6:32-36- As I struggled with that first month of my new counseling job, this verse made me cry. Because I was failing so miserably at loving those who were angry and not kind to me. The outside might have looked ok, but I had many bitter thoughts and blame to throw around. And I had to re-read these words. I had to pray them and read them slowly, often. They helped my battered spirit and encouraged me to keep on trying through my failures.
“But if you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them. 33 And if you do good to those who do good to you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners do the same. 34 And if you lend to those from whom you hope to receive back, what credit is that to you? For even sinners lend to sinners to receive as much back. 35 But love your enemies, do good, and lend, hoping for nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High. For He is kind to the unthankful and evil. 36 Therefore be merciful, just as your Father also is merciful."

* Thank You BibleGateway.com for helping me quickly and easily locate these favorites of mine. I am not so great with memorizing scripture

No comments: