Thursday, February 16, 2012

Why a non-basketball girl really admires J.L.

 * I wrote this post on Saturday morning.....and my guy just keeps on winning!*
 “I just think in order for someone to understand my game, they have to watch me more than once, because I’m not going to do anything that’s extra flashy or freakishly athletic."
Jeremy Lin


I am not a huge, over the top basketball fan. The scoring is too fast paced for me, and just when I get excited for my team.....the other team scores and my enthusiasm gets snatched. Pitiful excuse I know...but there it is.


Anyway, I curiously clicked on a little blurb this morning about Jeremy Lin (J.L. to me). I had not heard of him before, but when I saw that he was a Harvard graduate, well the little academic part of me took sudden interest. I figured it could not be all that common for a top, top notch student to also be working it in the NBA. According to Wikipedia the last Harvard student to play in the NBA was way, way back in 1954.


Though I have only seen a 5 minute video blurb recapping his last game, I admire him. It takes extreme will and determination to be a successful academic athlete. I should know, I have worked with student-athletes here for 2 years now. Their time is not their own. And you know at Harvard he was expected to perform at consistently high level both in and out of the classroom.


 I love that he is Asian American. And let me explain that fully. I think to me it means that he has a persevering spirit. Because let's admit it, the stereotype that pops into my head probably popped into many people's thoughts during his life. Possibly making people doubt his qualifications. The NBA is not exactly a diverse group, when you look outside the black and white of it. I just am happy that he is a reminder that in ALL things it is not what a person looks like that matters. There are people all over the Earth who are ignored or rejected because they don't fit what society is "looking for". J.L. is a reminder for us all to look closer, and look deeper to people's actual skills and talents.


I enjoy his story of working hard. And trying again and again to reach his goals. I think the fact that he knew himself well and seems so poised, makes me like him more. In fact, in America there seems to be this whole new vision, people are tired of super flashy, over-expensive, pampered success. Give us all some hard working, never give-up stories and your "typical" American can jive with that much more than the other. At least I can!
All in all, this non-basketball girl has an admiration crush on J.L. The season is young, and so is he (he was born in 1988) but I wish him the very best of luck in all of his endeavors both on and off the court!

No comments: