Friday, November 9, 2012

November 9th

It was a time of great and profound loss.
A young life taken in combat, a cousin who sacrificed his life for a comrade.
A family broken but miraculously bonded tighter than ever.

The years have flown by, but Veteran's Day, and the holidays remind me of my cousin Julian. And the thousands like him who gave the absolute sacrifice so that we can live in freedom.

The memories around that time are actually very fuzzy. In the span of 2ish years I lost a cousin, 2 aunts, and Melanie went on dialysis. Emotionally taxing! But I remember mourning my cousin. And I remember having to grow up really fast and help my mama mourn her nephew.

This day I can be thankful. Thankful that I have tried to live a life that Julian would be proud of. I have tried to give back to those who are struggling, and not just take my freedom for granted. I would want him to be proud, just as I am proud of his absolute sacrifice.

The pain is inescapable.  But I have learned that if we let it, time will heal our wounds. And being thankful for a life well lived and a life given in bravery and courage, now that is the deepest and most sincere type of thanks that we can offer.

No comments: